Friday, January 16, 2009

The January List

Wow--it's a big one. In no particular order, here are the things I'm feeling grateful for this month:
  • Johnny Cash. Mostly because I'm listening to "The Man Comes Around" right now and remembering all the reasons I like the Man in Black.
  • Junie B. Jones! Discovering Ms. Junie B. with my own kindergartener and pre-kindergartener is the mostest funnest ever!
  • Lisa's wonderful Wednesday dinners.
  • I have the best visiting teachers. See above.
  • Texting at 2am and 4am and 6am, because I know if my phone goes off in those wee morning hours it's one of two people, both of whom are happy reasons to be awake.
  • Friends who do such a good job loving and taking care of us that my kids name their dolls after them (ahem, Alicia & Michelly).
  • the gym. Nice people at the gym who don't laugh at me.
  • I finally learned to drive through an automated car wash. I was so proud of myself that I kept peeking out to the garage at the gleaming, sparkly-clean shine. This has been years coming. It's a far cry from the days when my sisters and I would dump our quarters in the car wash box and use the high pressure hoses to go after each other. THAT'S the way to have a water fight.
  • Draper Temple Open House.
  • Students. I know, I know, I say this every month. Let's make that, FORMER students. Because this has just been a good couple of weeks that way. David stopped by my office to chat for awhile, Eric joined us for the Clueless orgy, and Tina took me out to lunch. I love having a job that allows me to know wonderful people!
  • Fasting. And prayers. This hasn't been a good month for my friends Krista, Casey, Matt, and Sydney, all of whom are battling some form of the dreaded C-word. I'm grateful there is something I can do, and that we have Someone wiser and stronger and smarter to turn to when life is rough and doesn't make sense.
  • My sister Smoochie is coming to visit!!!
  • Diapers! I may moan about Eric's lack of interest in toilets, but I was reminded last night that it could be MUCH worse. He was running around naked before bedtime and I was thinking "Gee, I'm so glad that at least he's old enough that I don't have to worry about accidents..." and yep--massive, messy pooping all over the kitchen floor and all over Eric. Gracie volunteered to help clean up the floor, gagging and choking while saying, "I can do this. Even though it's disgusting, I can do this. Because I am brave." Dang straight. You are one brave little mama.
  • Sunshine! Finally, a break from the endless snow.
  • Seeing Chris last week. Because feeling 18 again is priceless.
  • Warm AND cute pajamas. Thank you, Mom!

3 comments:

Monica said...

All I can say is that it's a good thing his big, poopy, blow out happened on the kitchen floor, rather than, say on the carpet, or couch or your bed. Now THAT would have been a mess.

Blech.

Oh and how awesome that you had a little helper. None of my kids would have been that brave.

Christian said...

18 is good.

Anonymous said...

At least I know I can get away with using the word orgy on your blog. :)