Sunday, January 06, 2013

Favorite Things, Winter Edition

It's been zero degrees around here (I'm not exaggerating; that--or lower--has been the temperature every morning when I awake) for a couple of weeks now.

I'll be happy when it comes up just a titch; even 30 degrees sounds warm right now. But cold weather does have some perks, and those are my Favorite Things right now.


  • Warm tea. I've got mono and I'm cold all the time, a common symptom, I hear. I'm chugging liver cleansing teas & immune boosting teas, and they feel sooooo good this time of year. 
  • Maggie's Organics cotton socks. I know I've put them on the list before, but they're just so comfy, snuggly, and warm! 
  • A new red wool shawl/wrap from Smolly for Christmas. It's very pretty, and even better, it's WARM. 
  • Pedicures with Betsy. Because hobbling out to the car in flimsy flip-flops in a foot of snow & ice is totally worth it when you have bright green glittery toes. 
  • FamilySearch Indexing! I haven't been to church since early December. My ward (congregation) is heavily comprised of elderly folks and young families with brand new ones, and I don't think anyone wants my mono around. So, I'm home on Sundays, plus I'm spending a little bit more time in bed than usual, which has made this the perfect time to take up indexing. It's fun, totally addicting, and lets me be useful. Win! 
  • Sleep. It's on my Favorites list all the time, but when it's 0 degrees outside...yeah, it's hibernation time. 
  • Personal finance blogs. I subscribe to several and get daily updates. I'm such a geek. 
  • Andrea Bocelli & the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's "The Lord's Prayer." Love his entire Christmas album, but this song especially gives me goosebumps. 
  • My $4, brand new, perfectly beautiful duvet cover. The only thing I like more than pretty things are bargain-cheap pretty things!
  • Neighbors who clear my walks & driveway. I live by such kind people. 
  • "Blessings" by Laura Story. Love that song, I do. I also love my kids telling me that I sing it better :). 
  • Season Five of Merlin starts now! This eases the sting of waiting an eternity for new Sherlock, though it does not touch the pain of this being the final season of Merlin. Poop. 
  • Pilot G-2 gel pens & refills. No matter what else I try, I always come back to these favorites. 
  • My new iPhone! Oh man, am I ever converted! I put off replacing my old cell phone until I was charging it 2-3 times/day and getting only pieces of texts from people. This was a bigger investment than I would normally do for a phone, but it's so much more than a phone. My kids like it for Angry Birds; I like it for cool apps. Bonus--I can Skype from my cell phone, which makes international long distance FREE. 
My world outside is freaking cold right now, but it's still a warm & happy place inside. 

1 comment:

Becky said...

Indexing, Sherlock, Merlin, love, love, love! I'll have to try out the gel pens because pens, yes, I LOVE a great pen. Whenever I have an illogical craving to buy something for myself, it's usually satiated with a bit of ink and a nub. Of course, it's even better if I can get some wonderful paper to use my pen on. Doodle away, doodle away!