Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Boy

So, for several months now I've been mentally planning a blogpost about my darling son, tentatively titled something like "Why My Straight Guy Friends Are Worried," detailing many conversations with Eric that have a common theme:

Mom: Eric, what are you going to be when you grow up?
Eric: A princess!!!

Mom: Who are you going to marry when you grow up?
Eric: A handsome prince!

Mom: What's your favorite color?
Eric: Rainbows!

(yes, Eric always speaks in exclamation marks. The quotes are punctually correct).

However, recently I'm detecting a shift of sorts.

Last weekend was Hair Time at our house. It's a rather unpleasant time of combing out three little afros, washing, re-combing, and "styling" (I use the term loosely) those same curly heads. The children come through it alive and I come through it semi-sane thanks to a stack of movies. Last week I broke down and let them watch Spongebob (I am SO not a Spongebob fan).

Apparently the musical artist Pink did a guest appearance on Spongebob.
As I was trying not to retch I heard a sound coming from the little boy curled up next to me on the couch. Looking down, I saw the glazed-over look of a man in love. With his tongue practically hanging out in a pant, Eric said, "I like her A LOT."

Silly mommy had to ask.

"Because she's so CUTE!"

A short silence followed.

Then, in a tone of reverential awe previously reserved for the large Megatron left in his Christmas stocking, or the time he got to choose three whole pieces of candy from the prize box, he added:

"AND....she's got BOOBS!"

I think he has set the record 'straight.'

1 comment:

Christian said...

So . . . umm . . . Not to rain on your parade or anything, but a love affair with P!nk doesn't actually a straight man make. Even if she has boobs.

I have gay friends who are in love with boobs but are still gay as gay as gay. (No, I don't get it.)

But I have many, many more gay friends who are in love with P!nk in the same way that others are in love with Britney or Cher or Babs or Judy Garland . . .