Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The December Top-Ten (okay, let's make that 12 for the 12 days of Christmas...)

My Top Favorite Things Right Now:
  • Playing games with the kids! They are finally old enough to play real games. I've waited years for this part of motherhood :). Watching them catch on to the fun of card games, board games, and active games (hide-n-seek, anyone?) is such a blast. Last night for FHE we unwrapped a gift under the tree, from mommy to the kids. It was Twister. When we finally put it away, 45 minutes past bedtime, Grace sighed and said, "This is the most fun night EVER." Amen, baby girl, amen.
  • Warm socks!
  • Rolling out sugar cookies. Is there anything more quintessentially Christmas? Any other time of the year I absolutely loathe any recipe that requires rolling pins. This time of year, it just feels right.
  • Grown-up Princess Parties! Even better, amazing and inspiring friends who provide excuses to have them.
  • The semester is almost done!!! Happy thought.
  • Christmas music on nearly every radio station. I listen to it year round; I like this one teeny little month when the rest of the world joins me.
  • Dr. Nord and his sweet & super cute staff. Braces stink. I don't know why on earth I thought this would be a good idea. But the nicest people are helping me endure the trial.
  • Facebook!
  • My sisters. They are always some of my favorite things, but here are some specific reasons why: 1.) Becca sent me a gift card that enabled Santa to do a last-minute delight for the kids' stockings and something for me, too. 2.) Carole sent me a birthday package a whole month early, even though she knew that it is completely impossible for me to wait an entire month to open a present that is right in front of me and therefore was giving tacit permission by the act of sending it so early for me to open it early as well. It was an adorable blouse that I never in a million years would have bought for myself because I am Style-Challenged and need serious help in the fashion department AND it had matching earrings. I don't think I've ever had earrings that match an outfit--as in, intended to match a particular outfit. I rotate between two pairs of very safe, pretty boring, go-with-anything silver sets. I feel so unexpectedly glamorous. 3.) Holly wants to run a 1/2 marathon with me. She is so brave, not only to run the marathon, but to do it with ME. I've been wanting to do this for awhile, and was secretly hoping someone would join the adventure, and Holly volunteered! This is going to be so fun. Well, actually it's probably going to completely suck, but at least we'll share the experience and have stories to tell later--really crazy, awful and awesome stories, going off past experiences with Smolly. 4.) Emma drew Mercie's name for Christmas this year and she wanted detailed info about Mercie's likes and dislikes so she could get the most perfect thing for Ms. Mercie. Loving my kids puts you on my good side for eternity, but since I kind of feel more maternal than sisterly toward Emma most days, she's guaranteed to always be on my good side forever and ever.
  • Quiet evenings to sew. It's been WAAAAYYY too long since I made time for stitching therapy. Ah, the bliss! Save the bubble bath; just give me an hour or two with my sewing machine, a steam iron, and a pressing board. Heaven!
  • Christmas lights. Even better, driving around with the kids to look at Christmas lights.
  • Countless miracles and tender mercies, daily, hourly, minute by minute. I worry about money, the house, the car, keeping everyone fed, clothed, and happy, and the Lord provides. I worry about my kids and the Lord answers my prayers with strength for them and peace for me. I worry about too little time and too many things to do, and the Lord keeps His promise that if we put Him first, everything else falls into place. Daily I work on turning things over to Him, and faith slowly replaces worry because He is so good. Yay for undeserved, unconditional, unlimited love!

4 comments:

Edgy said...

It is nice when you can actually play real games with the kids.

Now, I just thought I'd throw this out there, but how do you feel about someone who has extra time on his hands now and is discovering a number of pictures of you from, oh, say, sixteen years ago? :)

mommymuse said...

well, that's interesting because the four little critters at my house have recently discovered a photo album from an unspecified number of years ago that seem to contain a large number of pictures of YOU.

I'd suggest a mutual truce not to post them online, but I'm guessing it will be more of a race to facebook :).

Edgy said...

I'm not necessarily inclined to race to Facebook. Though I must confess that I have this one, where on the back it says "Most likely to have the largest family (not necessarily together)." Now, were I FB friends with Dean Anderson, I would totally be posting it.

More than anything, I was thinking you might be wanting remembrances of times past. I think Monelle would get a kick out of me sharing them with the world as well . . .

mommymuse said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I was trying to remember his name, because I had a couple pictures of him and I couldn't remember his name or why he was laughing. Holy heck.